Lisle family narrowly escapes fire - Quincy Newspapers, Inc. - Print, Broadcast, Interactive

Lisle family narrowly escapes fire

Posted: Updated:

LISLE (WBNG) -- Officials are calling a mobile home in Lisle a complete loss after a fire Sunday night.

A Broome County fire investigator told 12 News the fire happened around 11:45 p.m. at 233 Butterfield Road.

The investigator said those who were inside at the time made it out safely.

Katie Smith says the family of five made it out because of the acts of heroism her husband showed. 

"I got down the stairs and I realized I didn't have my three year old and I said Dan I don't have him and I panicked and he ran back in," said Katie. 

She explained how Daniel ran inside and found the child on his bed, making it back outside with only seconds to spare. 

"As soon as everybody was outside all the flames just went over the roof of our trailer 30 seconds later," she said. 

Daniel said he didn't think twice about going back inside. 

"I just knew I had to get him out so I just ran back in and grabbed him," he said. 

Both are thankful their family is alive and safe. 

"If he didn't wake up at that time or come get us or he even hesitated to go back in we wouldn't be here right now, my son wouldn't be breathing," she said,

Investigators said the trailer was completely destroyed. Due to the amount of damage, he said the cause of the fire could not be determined, but said he believes it started in the living room.

For now, the family is staying at a motel, until they figure out their next move.

They are asking for help if anyone has seen their dog Darby.

They say she went missing during the commotion of the fire. 

A family friend has also started a GoFundMe for the family to help rebuild all they lost in the fire.